February 14, 2012 3:22 PM
Checkers broadcaster Jason Shaya checks in each week with his 10 Thoughts - a series of observations about the team and the hockey world in general.
1) Dave Caruso faced a season-high 47 shots in a 5-2 loss against Peoria on Saturday. I sure hope someone bought him a beverage or two after the game. He played great. The rest of the Checkers, not so much.
2) I realized writing “Ten Thoughts” today that it's much easier to complete the process when the Checkers win, and even harder when you’re trying to get 15 to look like 10.
3) A.J. Jenks was a predator out on the ice Sunday against the Admirals. He brought the fans to their feet with several good clean hits and got some power-play time as well. Good for him.
4) Zac Dalpe is known for a few things on the ice and none of them relate to fighting. However, he looked like a young Bobby Probert when he took down the Admirals' Alex Picard on Sunday. He does need to be careful and not break his hand, because it makes it hard to play guitar and, you know, shoot hockey pucks.
5) Read the story that finally came out last week about John F. Kennedy? It just proves what I’ve always believed: He is the most overrated person of the most overrated family in American political history.
6) When the Checkers were out of town, the Canes put together a very short list of potential call-ups. I would not be surprised if Chris Terry’s name was on there.
7) I heard Randy Cunneyworth wants P.K. Subban to not “over-think” and make the simple plays. I have always believed that being accused of “over-thinking” is a nice way of saying someone doesn’t think at all. Wonder if anyone ever told Thomas Edison he was “over-thinking.”
8) SVP of Hockey Business Derek Wilkinson, “Checkers are 1-2 with direct flights but are red hot on the connectors through Dallas.” On a serious note, we are working on posting Wilky’s Coach’s Corner segments from TV online. They are too good to not be posted.
9) Steve Yzerman said he’s not playing in next year’s Winter Classic Alumni game for Detroit against Toronto. Hey Steven. Yes. You. Are.
10) On some beaches in California, throwing a Frisbee or digging a hole in the sand is now punishable by a fine. The nanny state with another gem.
11) Despite the conjecture (and not because of the injury sustained last night), Tuomo Ruutu will not be traded.
12) The Checkers' front office guys played a pickup basketball game last week during lunch. Rumor has it there were plenty of furnace faces and old men realizing their youths had long past them by. Maybe these guys should’ve mixed in a jog or two in the past decade after high school.
13) Radio broadcast schedule for the week: Friday (1660AM, AHLLIVE.com), Saturday (610AM AHLLIVE.com) and Sunday (1660AM AHLLIVE.com).
14) The two games upcoming against Chicago on Saturday and Sunday are the biggest of the regular season. The Checkers are hurting up front. They’re going to have to overcome for this weekend and hopefully get healthy quickly.
15) Dating back to the beginning of January, Bobby Sanguinetti has a point in every single Checkers game but three. Is my microphone on?
16) Who leads the team in plus/minus? Justin Krueger. A plus for every language he speaks fluently and for every time Seve has called him Freddy.